USE THIS UTILITY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Version 3.21 (Zip) -
2013-11-25 (774 kb, 26,761 lines of code)
(Windows Compressed Folder) Download if you are unable to extract the
files from the Zip file and do not have Winzip, WinRAR or similar installed on
your system. The Windows error message is "File skipped unknown compression method?"
- Added additional option on Add Server to local Intranet Zone
screen to avoid the ugly "The Publisher could not be verified.
Are you sure you want to run this software?"
- Fix for Run Time Error 326 "resource with
identifier version not found" when fetching version properties
- Can press F12 at selected error messages to ignore message
in the future
- Can handle registry error messages using option in Seldom
Used update form
- Correct server shortcuts automatically although with a
warning message to the master user
- Handle Windows 7 junction points found in folder to be
created. Only a problem in Windows 7 64 bit edition.
- Fix bug in View BackEnd Users and move the Access and SQL
Server databases to top of screen.
- Handle Access 2013
- Fix for Automation error The profile for the user is a
- Increased workstation ID length in AutoFEUpdater FE.mde
Version 3.20 -
2011-09-09 (692 kb, 22,798 lines of code)
Version 3.19 -
2011-08-24 (674 kb, 21,462 lines of code)
Version 3.18 -
2011-08-19 (709 kb, 21,239 lines of code)
- Enterprise Edition can now
create emails for all users
currently in database or for all users who have tried to use the
database while locked out.
- Error message screens
can now create, but not automatically
send, emails containing the error message text to the support
email address as defined in the Master screen. Master users
can now create, but not automatically send, that error message
directly to Tony at Auto FE Updater support.
- Users will now get reminder screen after using the Auto FE
Updater when the 14 day trial period has expired. You can
immediately then get a 7 day grace period to ask for and receive
a trial license.
- Remove Lock All toolbar button as I figure no one is likely
using it. If this is a problem let me know and I'll put it
- Minor bug fixes
Version 3.17 -
2011-07-12 (706 kb, 19,989 lines of code)
Version 3.16 -
2011-06-06 (737 kb, 19,951 lines of code)
Added Use Target Folder for Shortcut Icon option to Shortcun
- Can now create second level folders in Program Files menu
- Fix display problems when viewing users in backend databases
- Fix 3024 Could not find file 'AutoFEUPdater Log.mdb' message
- Fix IsNull messages when running the AutoFEUpdater FE to
view the data
- As always minor bug fixes.
Version 3.15 - 2010-11-17 (737 kb, 19,745 lines of code)
- Fifteen days after initial setup of the Auto FE Updater
utility, even if an older version, you, the developer, will be
seeing a screen informing you the trial period is over every
time you start the utility.
- You can now specify a desktop folder in which to create
- Check box on the Seldom Used Update form to "Ignore the 1184
- Already Running App
- Display users in Access database files with a password in
the View Users in Backend Screen
- Display users properly in FE databases with multiple
backends. (One line of code that was wrong. <sigh>)
- Display users in BE which are using a different FE and
- The utility now creates the AutoFEUpdater Log.MDB file if
not found. The problem was that if you did a drag
and drop deploy of all new files you would copy a clean Log MDB
database file over top your old one.
- Setting the Read Only Attribute flag was ignored
- Fixed "No current record" message when opening
AutoFEUpdater Log FE without having run any sessions.
- As always minor bug fixes.
Version 3.14 - 2010-10-07
(737 kb, 18,192 lines of code)
Version 3.13 - 2010-10-03
(722 kb, 17,669 lines of code)
- Improve text displayed in View users in SQL Server database
- Minor bug fixes
Version 3.12 - 2010-09-27 (709 kb, 17,624 lines of code)
- Enterprise Edition
- added a view users in backend form
- added being able to view the users in a SQL
Server backend database file
- Fixed msstdfmt.dll not found problem when locking a
- Fixed problem where starting the utility from the
AutoFEUpdater_CheckStartup code would cause problems because the
Access application hadn't had time to exit and the StartMDB.exe
would find the LDB/LACCDB file.
- Added a waiting form to the above logic.
- a few other minor bugs
Version 3.0 -
2010-09-20 to download the zip file . (709 kb, 17,226 lines of code)
- Enterprise Edition
- if target folder has an LDB/LACCDB file present then attempt
to delete it. If delete unsuccessful then display a
warning message and stop executing. This will stop
the user from managing to run the Access application twice.
Version 2.18 -
2010-08-26 (369 kb, 13,542 lines of code)
Version 2.17 -
2010-08-24 (370 kb, 13,491 lines of code)
- Minor fix for a bizarre problem in the new toolbar code and
a form opened in modal mode. Unfortunately this
means that an extra mouse click is required when viewing an
error or warning message after you hit the run toolbar button.
This will only affect developers who are running the utility.
I will be contacting the author of the code once I create a
repro case with source code.
- 2010-08-22 (370 kb, 13,479 lines of code)
- Add better code in the Auto FE Updater Sample Code V1.01.mdb
file to handle when testing on the developers local copy
- Minor bug fix when reading the Access 2003 Security Level
registry entry when the registry entry is not present on the
Version 2.15 -
2010-08-20 (368 kb, 13,479 lines of code)
- Replaced command buttons on main form with toolbar.
- 2010-08-09 . (344 kb, 13,136 lines of code)
- Fixed bug on initial startup in a clean folder which
consumed massive amounts of RAM and caused a subscript overflow
Version 2.13 - 2010-07-08 . (336 kb, 12,625 lines of code)
- To be considered a master user, who can update the Auto FE
Updater config files, both the workstation ID and user ID must
be present. This is automatically updated for current
- Added Master Auto FE Updater Config File update form
- Only master user can update server shortcut and server cmd/bat
- Create Trusted Locations Subfolders in Access 2007 and 2010
- Create shortcuts in My Documents folder
- Update Access 2003 Security Level
- Update Jet 4.0 Sandbox Mode
- Create Intranet Zone for server to avoid users getting the
annoying "The publisher could not be trusted" message
- Added logic to handle user starting the Access FE file
directly such as using the Windows 7 task bar pinning. Includes
VBA code to import into your Access database file.
- Added Start Method = Display File Count Message. This
option does not start an Access FE database file or another file
but just displays a message showing how many files were copied
to the target folder.
Version 2.12 -
2010-03-18 (272 kb, 11,703 lines of code)
- Command line now supported for Start Method = File Extension
- Minor updates to update form
- Minor bug fixes
- 2010-02-16 . (267 kb, 11,327 lines of code)
- Update form bug fixes
- StartMethod=PreferredVersion-97 now supported
- If user clicks on startmdb.exe ugly null command line
message now replaced with list of configuration files and a run
button. Thanks to David W Fenton for bringing this
deficiency to my attention.
Version 2.00 -
2010-01-31 . (268 kb,
11,282 lines of code)
Create User Email
Version 1.83 - 2009-11-18
Set Read Only Attribute=off to turn off the read only attribute
when copying from a read only folder on the server
Set Access 2010 Trusted Location=yes
ServerShortCutPath can be specified
Digitally signed the exe file so the nasty "publisher could not
be verified" message no longer appears
Created a new command button to create server shortcut links for
Handle "Traverse Folder" permissions settings\
Added "Licensed to" to all forms
Version 1.82 -
several embarrassingly stupid
bugs in the Check For Updates
logic including the Bad Data
Found message the first time you
run the utility.
- Display a message if there
is no hotfix available for
- Fixed the following message
that appears if you're using the
Set Access 2007 Trusted
'The following error occurred in
procedure Log_Log Action of
Object variable or with block
variable not set"
- If you lock the users out of
running the app then the message
screen no longer displays the
www.autofeupdater.com URL or the
Copy Message to Clipboard
Version 1.81 - 2009-11-14
Stop the user from seeing the
'Access 2007 Security Warning -
Certain content in this database
has been disabled' message..
Set Access 2007 Trusted
Location=yes can now be
specified in the INI file.
My Documents can now be
specified in the MainApps entry
Check for updates to the Auto FE
Added "Place the CMD launcher
line into the clipboard" command
Minor bug fixes and better error
- Added ShortCutComment to INI
file for the user to see when
hovering over a shortcut.
- Fixed bug where if creating
both a Program Files shortcut
with a folder and a desktop
shortcut the utility would
attempt to add the shortcut to a
folder to the desktop
- Thanks to Noel Mann of New
Zealand for the ShortCutComment
suggestion and the above bug
- Utility will now correct
shortcut icon where the user has
updated that fielld or the admin
wants to change them.
- Fixed various minor bugs and
created better error messages
mostly in the area of shortcut
Version 1.78 - 2009-09-22
- Added ProgramsMenuFolder option to create a folder in your
Start >> All Programs menu for such shortcuts.
- Added command buttons to open the server folder or the Main
App Folder in Windows Explorer. If the user gets an error
message they only see the button to open the Main App Folder.
- Fixed StartMDB.exe staying in memory
- Changed StartMethod=FileExtension to use a different API
call as the API call I chose to use did not handle file
extensions longer than 3 characters consistently including ACCDB
- Remove Startmethod=FileExtensionSimple as it is now the same
- Documented NewINIPathAndFile in the INI pages and updated
the FAQ page. "This line is only used when moving servers or
such as this will rewrite the path and name of the StartMDB exe
and INI file in the target of the shortcut. This line is only
placed in the old INI file."
- Minor bug fixes, and some better error handling and clearer
error messages in a few places.
Version 1.77 -
- Added FileExtension and FileExtensionSimple to the
StartMethod. This now means the utility can be used for
ADP/ADEs or any other file extension really. This method can be
easier for the developer for testing purposes than AutoSelect
if the developer is using Access 2003 on their system and has
Access 2007 installed as the AutoSelect starts the newest
version of Access. Thus causing the annoying wait while Access
2007 installs itself.
- Added a debug checkbox to the developers form so you can see
what the Auto FE Updater wants to do before you run the utility
- Updated website showing the CreateShortCutOnPrograms and
CreateShortCutOnCommonPrograms options which have been available
for some considerable length of time but weren't documented on
the website. Oops.
Version 1.76 -
- Fixed occasional "Type mismatch" error message. Thanks to
Roy-Vidar Steining for
being persistent in solving this baffling message.
- Write date of file copied to local INI file in ISO yyyy-mm-dd format.
Version 1.74 - 2007-11-29
- Added FileNameToStart as an entry in the INI file so the MDB/MDE file
name no longer needs to be on the MainApp line. This will simplify setting
up the INI file.
- Using the LowMacroSecurity means of starting Access will now start
Access in maximized mode
- UNC paths now supported in MainApp INI file entry.
- Assorted minor bug fixes.
Version 1.73 - 2007-06-11
- Windows Vista now supported.
- Starting an exe, such as the Sagekey runtime system, is now supported.
- Fixed the "The MDW account name and password in the INI file weren't
valid for opening the MDB to determine the version of the MDB" message when
in a mixed operating system work station environment.
- Emphasized using %appdata% as a location for the Front End MDB/MDE in
the sample ini files and documentation
- Added error numbers to the messages. It was getting a bit difficult
tracking down specific error messages in the code.
Version 1.72 - 2007-04-05
- Added LowMacroSecurity to StartMethod options
- Fixed message when A2007 went to open up an Access 2003 or previous
Version 1.71 - 2007-03-30
- Handles Access 2007 ACCDBs
- Fixed improper handling of Shortcut errors when
ShortcutErrorMessageHandling was specified.
Version 1.69 -
- Fixed different MDW passwords being saved due to different operating
systems. You will have to resave the MDW password in the INI file. Note
that the encryption common to all 32 bit operating systems is only 40 bit
thus quite weak. However the passwords are relatively short and Access
security isn't the greatest anyhow.
- Removed "Directory on server '\\server_name\share_name' does not exist
or you have a permissions problem." message. This was causing problems
when only the server name and share name was present. It worked fine if
there was also a folder name present. The next check is for the actual file
name so the above is really a redundant message.
Version 1.68 -
- Added the missing files such as the sample INI files to the zip file.
- Fixed obscure bug when encrypting passwords.
Version 1.66 - 2004-09-13.
- Added support for secured MDB/MDEs.
Version 1.65 - 2004-08-03
- Added OS version, user id and work station name to text copied to
clipboard for debugging purposes.
- Improved redisplay of INI file list after locking/unlocking users from
- Added CopyShortCutFromServer option for workaround for NT 4.0 bug when
creating shortcuts with UNC paths on server. Thanks to Christopher C for
- Fixed bug "The following error occurred while attempting to determine
the Access/Jet version of the file - 3050 Could not lock file. Database or
network share may be read only." Also thanks to Christopher C.
- Fixed bug "The StartMethod is FilePath but there is no Shell line
present in the INI file." Thanks to Simon K.
Version 1.64 - 2004-07-22
- Fixed bug where if command line was present it would put in the shortcut
line instead. Thanks to Ian P for notifying me.
Version 1.63 - 2004-07-20
- Added lockout, un-lockout and un-lockout all buttons and About screen.
- Fixed bug where if CreateShortCutOnDesktop=Yes then it gave you a
message even when ShortCutName was present. "Either CreateShortCutOnDesktop
or CreateShortCutOnCommonDesktop values are set to 'yes' in INI file but
ShortCutName is not present." Thanks for Dorci R for notifying me.
Version 1.61 - 2004-07-17
- Fixed bug where debugging message box came up titled "Auto FE Updater",
with a message of "R drive" and an OK button and you are using the
StartMethod=FilePath option. Thanks to Stephen H of Australia for notifying
Version 1.6 -
- If no command line passed to utility then display form listing INI files
- Select icon file and specific icon (specifically resource file and
- Create shortcut on server, desktop, desktop and quick launch including
- Verify that shortcut(s) specified hasn't been changed by user
- Create .bat/.cmd files on server with comment lines
- Added optional LauncherEXEPath to INI file due to VB behavior change for
- Added AutoFEUPDater.INI on server file with master1-5 logic
- Removed Master line from detail INI files with a warning message if
- Removed ShortCut line from detail INI files with a warning message if
Version 1.58 - 2004/06/15
- StartMethod=AutoSelect, FileExtension, FilePath (Optional, default is
AutoSelect) This option choose the method which starts the MDB file.
AutoSelect determines the version of Access of the MDB file and then locates
that version of Access using the registry. Or if the MDB is in Access 2000
or newer it will look for a compatible version of Access.
- DoubleQuotesOnShell=Yes (Optional) If running Access 2.0 MDB then set
this to No.
Bug: If you are using the StartMethod=AutoSelect and the user is
a regular user, not a power or Admin user, then the utility couldn't determine
what versions of Access were installed on the target system. Fixed in
Version 1.55 - 2004/05/31
- Fixed bug where command line didn't have ""s after the 'inifile:' and
also at the end of the command line
- Added Copy to Clipboard command button to error message screen to make
it easier for users to send the error message and their current INI file to
the support personnel. Or for implementers to email me with details of the
Version 1.51 - 2004/05/24
- Added DspMsgBox form
- better error handling and file existence checks (to reduce your
confusion and emails to me. <smile>)
- environment variables support
- %user%, %workstn% and environment variables supported in command line
- UNC paths support
- Master workstation INI file entry to allow you the developer to have a
button which you click to open the INI file if an error message is displayed
- CreateShortCutOnCommonDesktop option
Version 1.4 - 2002/04/12
(Yes, it does say V1.3. My mistake.)
- Added the option for putting user name or work station name in the
directory name. This allows for better integration with Terminal
Server/Citrix or keeping individual front ends on the server.
- Added WindowStyle option
- Fixed bug where Shell was defaulting the WindowStyle option to Hide.
Thanks to AC for reporting this.
Version 1.3 - 2002/04/10
- Use Shell command to explicitly point to a MSACCESS.EXE file (to handle
multiple versions of access on the work station.)
- This then allowed the CommandLine option to properly work
- Tested Lockout logic
- Added CreateShortCutOnDesktop
Version 1.0 - 2000/06/04